A Fantasy
新概念英语第2册 · 第 95 课 · 中英文对照课文
▶ 点读 / 听力练习
- Lesson 95第95课
- A Fantasy纯属虚构
- Why was the Ambassador particularly lucky?为什么这位大使特别幸运呢?
- When the Ambassador of Escalopia returned home for lunch, his wife got a shock.当埃斯卡洛皮亚大使回家吃午饭时,他的妻子感到非常震惊。
- He looked pale and his clothes were in a frightful state.他看起来脸色苍白,衣服也破烂不堪。
- 'What has happened?' she asked.“发生了什么事?”她问道。
- 'How did your clothes get into such a mess?'“你的衣服怎么会弄得这么乱糟糟的?”
- 'A fire extinguisher, my dear,' answered the Ambassador drily.“是灭火器,亲爱的,”大使冷冷地回答道。
- 'University students set the Embassy on fire this morning.'“今天早上,大学生们把大使馆给点着了。”
- 'Good heavens!' exclaimed his wife.“我的天啊!”他的妻子惊呼道。
- 'And where were you at the time?'“那你当时在哪里?”
- 'I was in my office as usual,' answered the Ambassador.“我像往常一样在办公室里,”大使回答道。
- 'The fire broke out in the basement.“火是从地下室烧起来的。”
- I went down immediately, of course, and that fool, Horst, aimed a fire extinguisher at me.我立刻就下去了,当然了;还有那个傻瓜,霍斯特……“把灭火器对准了我。”
- He thought I was on fire.他以为我着火了。
- I must definitely get that fellow posted.'“我一定要把那个家伙调走。”
- The Ambassador's wife went on asking questions, when she suddenly noticed a big hole in her husband's hat.大使的妻子不停地提问。突然,她发现丈夫的帽子上有一个大洞。
- 'And how can you explain that?' she asked.“那你又该如何解释这件事呢?”她问道。
- 'Oh, that,' said the Ambassador.“哦,那个……”大使说道。
- 'Someone fired a shot through my office window.“有人朝我的办公室窗户开了一枪。”
- Accurate, don't you think?“非常准确,不是吗?”
- Fortunately, I wasn't wearing it at the time.幸运的是,当时我并没有戴着它。
- If I had been, I would not have been able to get home for lunch.'“如果我戴着它,我就没法回家吃午饭了。”