Not Guilty

新概念英语第3册 · 第 11 课 · 中英文对照课文

▶ 点读 / 听力练习
  1. Lesson 11第11课
  2. Not guilty“无罪”
  3. What was the Customs Officer looking for?海关官员在寻找什么?
  4. Customs Officers are quite tolerant these days, but they can still stop you when you are going through the Green Channel and have nothing to declare.如今的海关官员通常比较宽容,但即便你通过绿色通道且没有任何需要申报的物品,他们仍有可能拦下你。
  5. Even really honest people are often made to feel guilty.即使是那些非常诚实的人,也常常会因此感到内疚。
  6. The hardened professional smuggler, on the other hand, is never troubled by such feelings, even if he has five hundred gold watches hidden in his suitcase.另一方面,那些老练的走私者则完全不会受到这种情绪的困扰——即使他们的行李箱里藏着五百块金表。
  7. When I returned from abroad recently, a particularly officious young Customs Officer clearly regarded me as a smuggler.最近我从国外回来时,一位特别爱管闲事的年轻海关官员明显把我当成了走私者。
  8. 'Have you anything to declare?' he asked, looking me in the eye.“您有什么需要申报的吗?”他直视着我的眼睛问道。
  9. 'No,' I answered confidently.“没有,”我自信地回答。
  10. 'Would you mind unlocking this suitcase please? '“请您把这个行李箱打开好吗?”
  11. 'Not at all,' I answered.“一点也不,”我回答道。
  12. The Officer went through the case with great care.这位官员非常仔细地检查了行李箱。
  13. All the things I had packed so carefully were soon in a dreadful mess.我精心打包的所有东西,很快就变得一片狼藉。
  14. I felt sure I would never be able to close the case again.我确信自己再也无法关上这个箱子了。
  15. Suddenly, I saw the Officer's face light up.突然,我看到那位警官的脸上露出了笑容。
  16. He had spotted a tiny bottle at the bottom of my case and he pounced on it with delight.他在我的行李箱底部发现了一个小瓶子。他高兴地抓住了它。
  17. 'Perfume, eh?' he asked sarcastically.“香水,是吗?”他讽刺地问道。
  18. 'You should have declared that.你本应该申报这个的。
  19. Perfume is not exempt from import duty. '香水同样需要缴纳进口关税。
  20. 'But it isn't perfume, I said. 'It's hair gel. '“但这不是香水,”我说,“这是发胶。”
  21. Then I added with a smile,然后我微笑着补充道:
  22. 'It's a strange mixture I make myself.这是我自己调制的一种奇怪混合物。
  23. As I expected, he did not believe me.正如我所料,他根本不相信我的话。
  24. 'Try it!' I said encouragingly.“试试看吧!”我鼓励地说道。
  25. The Officer unscrewed the cap and put the bottle to his nostrils.那位警官拧开了瓶盖,将瓶子靠近自己的鼻孔。
  26. He was greeted by an unpleasant smell which convinced him that I was telling the truth.一股难闻的气味扑面而来,这让他确信我说的是实话。
  27. A few minutes later, I was able to hurry away with precious chalk marks on my baggage.几分钟后,我终于带着行李匆匆离开了——我的行李上留下了那些珍贵的粉笔痕迹。